Colorado Springs Gun Defense Attorney
Colorado gun laws establish the rules for the rights to own and carry firearms in the state. While these laws set specific requirements, restrictions, and prohibitions for weapon possession in Colorado, they also detail the harsh charges and penalties that can come into play for violations of Colorado gun laws.
Elaborating on these statutes, the following shares important information about Colorado gun laws. Whenever you need more answers about your rights and defending against gun charges in Colorado, contact a criminal defense attorney at Anaya-McKedy, P.C.
Who Cannot Own a Gun in Colorado?
Under Colorado law, current and past conditions can bar you from being able to carry or own firearms. In terms of current conditions, Colorado law prohibits you from carrying or possessing guns if you:
- Are a fugitive or the subject of a protective order barring possession of guns
- Are illegally in the U.S. or admitted under a non-immigrant visa
- Are addicted to or illegally using a controlled substance
In terms of past conditions, the same prohibitions apply if you have been:
- Ruled to be mentally defective by a court or committed to a mental health institution
- Indicted for or convicted of a felony or certain misdemeanor crimes in any state or under federal law
- Dishonorably discharged from the U.S. military
Carry Restrictions for Non-Coloradans
Visitors in (non-residents of) Colorado are only permitted to carry firearms within the state if their state of residency has a reciprocity agreement with Colorado.
Specifically, Colorado law (C.R.S. 18-12-213) states that valid concealed carry permits issued by others states will be recognized in Colorado only if the issuing state honors Colorado carry permits and the permit holder is:
- At least 21 years old
- A resident of the issuing state
- In possession of a valid, matching state-issued driver’s license proving residency
- In possession of a valid carry permit
Currently, Colorado has concealed carry reciprocity with most states, including: