Juvenile Offenses2018-11-01T09:15:24+00:00

Colorado Springs Juvenile Offense Attorney

A juvenile record can negatively affect school, college and employment opportunities for many years. The law office of Anaya-McKedy, P.C., works hard to limit the long-term impact if your minor child is accused of a juvenile crime (delinquency). Our juvenile law attorney often gets charges dismissed or reduced, or negotiates alternative outcomes.Call our Colorado Springs law office at 719-227-0007 to arrange a free initial consultation. We practice in juvenile courts in El Paso County, Teller County and nearby jurisdictions of Colorado. Our attorneys have handled every type of juvenile offense:

  • Shoplifting, theft and burglary
  • Possession of drugs and underage drinking
  • DUI/DWAI and felony traffic violations
  • Assault and battery
  • Auto theft
  • Criminal mischief (damage to property)

Misdemeanor Juvenile Offenses

We work to ensure that your son or daughter does not pay too high a price for a moment of bad judgment. We can often get charges dropped or get our clients into a diversion program that avoids a criminal record. It may be possible for your child to walk away with no long-term consequences, in exchange for restitution, apology letters, community service, classes or treatment.

Serious Juvenile Crimes

An underage person charged with a violent crime, sexual offense or other serious felony may face mandatory sentencing to a Division of Youth Corrections (DYC) facility. As former prosecutors, our attorneys can find weaknesses in the case to gain leverage for a plea to a lesser, non-DYC offense. We make every effort to avoid incarceration and keep the most serious crimes off your child’s record.

What Parents Need To Know

Some parents want their child to “take the punishment” for a juvenile offense so that the youth learns to be accountable for his or her actions. But under Colorado law, parents can be held liable for property damage or restitution up to $25,000 for crimes committed by their children. If homeowners insurance or other liability coverage does not cover the loss, the parent(s) may be personally on the hook.

It is always best to hire a juvenile law attorney for advice on (a) the long-term ramifications for your minor child and (b) any collateral consequences for the rest of the family.

Contact an experienced lawyer who understands the juvenile justice system. We offer a free initial consultation, and you can reach us 24 hours a day. Call 719-227-0007 or send us an email.