Anaya-McKedy, P.C.
Normal Business hours:719-387-9954
After 5pm & weekends:719-362-7868
Free Initial Consultations

Can my criminal record be sealed?

Nobody wants a criminal record. But when you have been arrested, charged with or convicted of a crime - there may be little to do about it.

A criminal record can come back to haunt you when you least expect it:

  • When applying to rent an apartment
  • When applying to get into college
  • When applying for a job

One mistake can end up costing you for years to come. But does it have to? Do individuals with a criminal record have to live with this forever?

Not necessarily. Criminal record sealing is an option for individuals who meet certain requirements. While not for everyone, it allows certain individuals to pass through life without worrying that someone will find out about their criminal past.

What is criminal record sealing?

Colorado does not allow for criminal record expungement, or the destroying of a criminal record. However, it does allow for criminal record sealing.

When your criminal record is sealed, it is for the most part, inaccessible. You can legally state that the crime or arrest in question never occurred. Additionally, the police must state that you have no record when asked.

Do I qualify for record sealing?

First it is necessary to determine if you qualify for criminal record sealing in Colorado:

  • Were you found not guilty at trial?
  • Was your case dismissed before trail?
  • Did you receive a deferred sentence? If so, did you comply with all of the terms?

If you answered "yes" to any of the above questions, you may qualify to have your record sealed. However, it is important to note that records of certain offenses cannot be sealed, such as domestic violence. Talk to one of our lawyers to find out if you qualify.

How do I get my record sealed?

Working with a criminal defense attorney is your best bet for getting your criminal record sealed. Our attorneys can prepare your petition and help get your record sealed.

To find out more, or to start the process, please contact our office.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Back to Top